Nivi · January 8th, 2016
Some highlights from Ed Catmull’s Creativity Inc. Ed is the President of Pixar.
“If there is more truth in the hallways than in meetings, you have a problem.
“The desire for everything to run smoothly is a false goal.
“The truth is, the cost of preventing errors is often far greater than the cost of fixing them.
“Rules can simplify life for managers, but they can be demeaning to the 95 percent who behave well. Don’t create rules to rein in the other 5 percent—address abuses of common sense individually. This is more work but ultimately healthier.
“The first conclusions we draw from our successes and failures are typically wrong. Measuring the outcome without evaluating the process is deceiving.
“An organization, as a whole, is more conservative and resistant to change than the individuals who comprise it. Do not assume that general agreement will lead to change—it takes substantial energy to move a group, even when all are on board.”